Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It feels like just yesterday that I was a teenager...

because it was ^_^

I turned 20 today, and this is how it went:

Me and my room mate were sitting up around midnight talking about The Land Before Time.  I don't know if you've ever seen these movies, but they were a big part of both ours' childhood.  We've decided to watch them sometime soon.  I can't wait!  But as we were talking about the movies, trying to remember what happened in which one and the characters' names, my room mate pointed out that my first conversation as a 20 year old was about a bunch of non-existent little cartoon dinosaurs that I used to be in love with when I was like...five. Yup, this is my life. =) <3

My room mate had been sewing this beautiful pillow for a few weeks now, and she'd been telling me that it was a Christmas present for her Abuela (that's her grandmother -- she's Cuban).  When I woke up this morning it was sitting on my desk with my name on it. Sneeky sneeky! Of course I loved it <3 And she also made me a card that brought me to tears when I read it. She's so good with words! And like any good room mate would, she also gave me a big bag of Reese's (my favorite!)

I went to class and aced a quiz, woot woot! Then I went to chapel, where the message was good and the guy I really like (who I thought didn't really notice me much) remembered all on his own to wish me a Happy Birthday.

After chapel, things weren't so good. I got a phone call from home, where instead of a simple "Happy Birthday" I received a lecture that was so far from undeserved it's not even funny. But we're not going to talk about that. I will not let it ruin my blog post, just like it didn't ruin my day. =)

I met some awesome people for lunch, and afterward one of my good friends gave me a very adorable coffee mug, some coffee and some hot chocolate. Mmmm, my favorite!

I went to Lit class, which was pretty boring.

I got a bajillion birthday wishes all day! Okay...maybe just a couple hundred or so (no exaggeration) And honestly, it made me feel pretty special <3 I love the people here so much.

No one sang me Happy Birthday. This may sound like a bad thing to most people, but I really don't like it. So it was a really good thing for me.

I have a delicious chocolate cake made by a very special friend in my refrigerator. Yum ; )

People kept asking me, as always, if I feel any different. Of course they were joking. But it made me think. I've thought about this before: I wonder if the world looks at a 20 year old differently from a 19 year old as much as I perceive them to. Maybe it's because they're no longer a teenager? It's just weird to think about. I'm no different today than I was yesterday, but I feel like the world will look at me differently than the 19 year old standing next to me. I wonder if maybe it's because when we're still 19 we're still associated with the teenagers. In this decade of our lives all we have to do is follow the rules, go to school, and chill with our friends.  Some of us may have jobs, and we all have some sort of responsibilities. But life is pretty simple and outlined.

But now I'm 20. Suddenly I'm associated with a whole new decade of life. In this decade, I have to think about finishing school with a decent transcript and a good degree that will get me a career that will allow me to take care of myself. Now I have to get serious about the future, and what it may hold. I should be looking for someone to settle down with. I have some major goals to meet (according to society). By the end of this decade of my life, I need to be settled into a good, respectable career, married, with 2.5 kids, a nice suburban neighborhood, a medium sized house, and an income that will be sure to take care of my family for the rest of our lives. I've got a lot of work to do.

This new way of the world looking at me can be both good and bad:

It's good in the sense that I'm probably at least somewhat more likely to get a job than some snobby teenager who's only reason for being there is because mommy and daddy think they need to learn what life is all about. (Unfortunately, I had those parents). It's also quite possible that I'll be respected at least a little more out in the real world. I'm no longer some trouble causing kid. I'm an adult. (Which technically started at 18, but who actually considers an 18 year old an adult?)

It's bad in the sense that, consequences for mistakes are about to get much more harsh. I've got all these expectations laid on me out of nowhere, and suddenly life just got a lot more stressful. (Like I can afford that). I can't mess around like I once could without getting one of those, "grow up and act your age" looks. When I was 19, I got away with more because I was "just a kid". Life is going to get very stressful and boring.

This is how I perceive the next decade of my life to go. I hope that I am so extremely wrong.

P.S. -- I don't care if I'm 20. If I want to start a food fight in a nice restaurant than I will not be stopped. Your "act your age" snobbish looks don't frighten me!

2 comments:

  1. I remember Land Before Time! Gosh, that was so ridiculously long ago...I don't think I remember anything else from that age. lol

    Hot chocolate+Reese's=double favorite. I must remember this. :)

    I'm glad you spent your birthday where you are! I know you wouldn't have been nearly as happy having it here. I'm glad the people down there are taking good care of my birthday girl! :D I love that everyone wished you happy birthday all day. You have to have things that remind you that it's a special day; otherwise, it feels like every other.

    I like the P.S. too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. favorite candy and favorite hot drink. they're totally different :P it's justifiable!!

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete