Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Story of Boy Meets Girl...

A friend just introduced me to a great movie.

500 Days of Summer



I think I was the only one in my group of friends that liked it. So you may not want to take my word for it, but I thought it was amazing.

If you do however decide to watch it, you may be tempted to stop about halfway through. But I encourage you to watch the entire movie, because at the end the main character has an epiphany. And that epiphany is the most amazing part of the entire movie. (And it also provides several laughs along the way.)

I won't tell you what that epiphany is, on the slight chance that you actually decide to watch the movie...as well as because I'm thinking it may be the only leverage I hold that might actually convince you to watch it.

But I will tell you that it is a much welcomed truth to how life and love truly work. I can't stand what literature and media has done with "love".  The way it has corrupted our view of what love "should be". The way it has made fate, the idea of "one true love", "love" at first sight, soul mates,  and all that crap out to be something that actually exists.

This is not one of those movies. And I like it a lot because of that.

And with that, I think I'll leave you with some quotes from the movie, while attempting not to give anything major away:

~ "This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story."

~ "People don't realize this, but loneliness is underrated."

~ "Just because she likes the same bizzaro crap you do doesn't mean she's your soul mate."

~ "Look, I know you think she was the one, but I don't. Now, I think you're just remembering the good stuff. Next time you look back, I really think you should look again."

~ "Robin is better than the girl of my dreams. She's real."

~  "It's these cards and the movies and the pop songs, they're to blame for all lies and the heartache, everything."

2 comments: